Monday, July 20, 2009

to follow: 20 posts in 30 days

Well several exciting events have taken place since I last updated this blog over three months ago. Among them: I finished classes, though I still have to write my thesis; we moved apartments, just 15 blocks up the park, but still...; Sara Palin announced her resignation as the governor of Alaska; and we excitedly found out that we had free cable, watched lots and lots of free cable, and then tragically lost our free cable--because I guess the guy who lived in this apartment before us and was paying for our "free" cable finally wised up and canceled it--boo hoo, the end, now I have nothing to live for. Oh, and also, I grew up. I forgot to mention that.

All kidding aside, I have made the time in between all of the free cable-watching to think a bit about what I want this blog to be, why, and to chalk up the courage to commit to writing it. This is also the reason I have chosen not to update for a while. So here it is: I express myself best through writing and this self-expression is essential to my well-being. Short and sweet. Boring or not. I also adore words and sentences and am less happy when my life is devoid of them. You might consider this blog like having a cup of tea with me, or coffee, or iced cardamom chocolate, or beer, or wine and cheese...the list of what I could consume goes on and on. And frankly, I'm worth knowing--being able to utter those words and mean them is what clued me in to the fact that I've grown up, at least a bit. That said, I hope to strike a balance, in my life and in my words, between gravitas and utter light-heartedness, because though I believe in seeking, learning, and evolving, I'm still not sure that this thing we're doing (life) is really that big of a deal. Though certainly the weight of being human feels very, very real, I just cannot shake the feeling that we are tethered tightly to a joke. Not a rude joke, no not at all, a cute little slip-of-a-joke that probably just dissolves in your mouth when attempted to be told. Besides, don't you think that whether life sucks or not is kind of a pointless thing to debate? I mean, don't most of us have to do it anyway? This is why some of my posts are and will continue to be silly and irreverent and some of them pensive and seemingly more thoughtful.

So here, I'm committing...yikes...something I hate to do, to writing 20 posts in 30 days, because it helps me--helps me feel like I'm communicating, helps me with all of the other writing I have to do, helps me say "I like ya'll, I really do, and I want to talk, I just do it better in writing. So leave a comment and let me know you were here."

1 comment:

  1. Sara was here! And sara likes having tea and coffee with Stephanie, and likes her writing, too. However, I have to say that I take issue with your belief that you express yourself better in writing. I know you might *feel* that way, but in fact you express yourself wonderfully in person as well!! Real tea with Stephanie, virtual tea...they're all great : ) Moving time now.

    ReplyDelete