Saturday, April 25, 2009

sometimes it's just nice to be right

Yesterday afternoon my husband and I went to Central Park to enjoy the beautiful weather. Last weekend we played frisbee in Sheep's Meadow and he tossed me around a bit. But yesterday we were both feeling lazy so we just got some coffee AND soda and sat on a bench to people watch. At some point he said, "let's try to pick out who we think is the wisest...like, who would you want to have a conversation with...that you could learn something from." After a few minutes I had picked out my person, a dad with a tiny kid on his shoulders, but my husband was just having so much trouble finding someone. He had, however, excitedly pointed out each animal that went by. "I think maybe your person isn't a person at all, but a horse," I said.

And the conversation just got weirder from that point:

Him: "I think you might be right. It's so great how the longer we're together, the more we know each other. I mean, we've almost been together four years."

Me: "But our two-year wedding anniversary is next week. And we only knew each other for like ten months before we got married. That means we haven't even known each other for three whole years."

Him: "Yeah, but four is closer to three than one is..."

Me: "Nobody said anything about ONE. And besides, we've only known each other for three years, that's not four."

Him: "Whatever, four is still closer to three than it is to one so it counts."

Me: "I guess so, but I don't get it."

Him: "Look, just because it's a misconception and you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not true."

Me: "Did you really just say that?... Oh, I get it. You're RIGHT!"

Sometimes it's just nice to be right, especially when you're married. And extra especially when you're married to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment