Thursday, April 2, 2009

if i only had a blog!

it would look like this. I figured that black was the only natural choice for a blog-ground since I'm obsessed with not liking black. In fact, it's one of the many things that defines me. Every time I walk into a store I simply relish telling the salespeople and everyone around me about how I don't ever wear black. And sometimes I'm like, well, except for today when I'm wearing black and all but I swear this is not normal! no not at all! I am so original, right? about not wearing black. And then I roll my eyes at myself.

I titled this blog "yogathisandshoesthat" because every other name I thought of was already taken. And now that I really sit and think about it, I'm glad that someone else besides me is stuck with "downbythebayou" and "smackthatcentral." yogathisandshoesthat is about me I guess, and my fascination with words and yoga and shoes. And speaking of fascination, I am so totally NOT that person who is fascinated with everything. I wish I were! But really, I don't think I even looked both ways while crossing the street until I had lived in New York for at least a year, and then I was like hey! where did all these stores come from? that's so nice that they put some stores in New York just a year after I moved here--super sweeties! That's right. I didn't even pay attention while crossing the street. A friend of mine asked me the other day how long it took me to stop looking around when I moved to New York. And I was all what? why would I look around? I know where I'm going and those buildings, those are just buildings and that park? I don't know it's just a lot of benches and a carousel and an ice-skating rink and stuff...I do, however, know so many people, my husband included, who are really interested in everything. And somehow I think it's cool to be like that. But I'd rather be wearing good shoes personally, and those take time to shop for, damnit. Don't get me wrong, I'm a yogi through and through, okay well not totally, (not a big fan of the word "yogini"). I just kind of know myself and I know that I would be lying if I said I wondered how that ancient coin was made or even how many colors are in that sunset. I do not wonder at all! I figure, hey, everyone needs something to think about so really it would not be fair of me to take up all the thinking. And really, it wouldn't. I used to feel really bad about this trait but I've now kind of accepted it. And I guess acceptance is kind of a focus of this blog. It's about how being an authentic yogi and spending ridiculous amounts of money are shoes are not mutually exclusive. so there.

I guess that what this blog is really about will emerge as I write. But it's so sad that blogging about work is off limits (thanks so much to www.dooce.com) because I swear, some crazy things go on over there on Madison Avenue what with all of the punching and kicking and stuff. oh and the buying Prada online. there's A LOT of that. Not by me, of course.

Oh, there's just one more thing you should know about me: I hate lamps. AND rugs.

5 comments:

  1. was www.stephanieisfunny.blogspot.com also taken??? If not, I think I'll have that one, where I'll post things you say that make me laugh. I'll start by listing your blog and your facebook comments to K....HILarious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah this is fun.. Does Mikers have a blog?
    And tell him if I was in a spin class and some guy was singing coldplay beside me I would flip out... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Steph! You are even funnier than me!
    I loved the perfectly apt comment on your "eccentric" husband being a decoy for wearing "bad shoes"! Can't you disguise your work tales? I look forward to your next entry.
    Delighted that you are doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oy honey...I never knew, why didnt you tel me....you are HILARIOUS!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. No the thesis is not talking to you....

    ReplyDelete